National Cancer Institute
Biomedical Imaging Program
Cancer Research: Because Lives Depend on It
New NCI Initiatives for CAD
Laurence P. Clarke PhD.
Barbara Y. Croft PhD.
Edward Staab MD.
Daniel Sullivan MD.
Image of CIP Organizational Chart
Division of Cancer Treatment and Diagnosis (DCTD)
Cancer Diagnosis Program (CDP)
Biomedical Imaging Program (BIP)
- Diagnostic Imaging Branch
- Molecular Imaging Branch
- Image-guided Therapy Branch
- Imaging Technology Development Branch
Developmental Therapeutics Program (DTP)
Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP)
Radiation Research Program (RRP)
NIH Funding for Imaging
Graph of Millions of Dollars vs years (FY 96, FY97, FY98, FY99) with 3 colors for BIP, NIH-Radiology and NIH Imaging funding levels
BIP varies from $50 million to about $80 million across the 4 years
NIH-Radiology varies from about $100 million to $120 million for 3 years
NIH Imaging varies from $325 million to $340 million for FY97 and FY98
BIP Grant Funding
Graph breaks out the BIP funding shown on the previous slideSlide 6
Branch: Imaging Technology
- Promoting new areas for imaging technology development.
- Development of new funding initiatives for academia and industry, including SBIR/STTR's.
- Development of research resources and centers of excellence.
- Promoting Inter-agency programs.
NIH Initiatives: Image Data Bases
- NLM/NSF Visible Human Project (1989-): CT/MRI images of to allow evaluation of image registration and segmentation (normal subjects/cadavers).
- NIH/NSF: Human Brain Project (1993-). Common tools to facilitate research on neuroinformatics (CT/PET/MRI).
- NCI Database (2000-2005): Focused on evaluation of diagnostic software for specific cancer applications and impact of image pre- processing( image registration).
Rationale: Image Database
- CAD methods: Rapidly being developed for more efficient analysis of screening studies (breast, lung and colon).
- Clinical Model: Spiral CT for lung cancer screening for high risk patients: Opportunity: access to clinical trials.
- Physical Model: Excellent for evaluating 3D CAD, image registration and temporal analysis of serial CT images, multi-modality image registration, image reconstruction.
Objectives: Image Database Resource
- Develop consensus for generation of retrospective image databases, histology confirmation and spatial ground truth, metrics and statistical methods for software evaluation.
- Provide an objective means to compare CAD, image processing, change analysis, and image reconstruction software methods.
- Stimulate development and early identification of promising software methods and reduction of research risk for academia and industry research sites.
- Enhance inter-disciplinary research collaboration by academia, federal laboratories and industry.
Subtle and Very Subtle Nodules Imaged on CT scan
Slide shows an x-ray computed tomography transaxial slice of the chest with 2 lung nodules marked.
The slide, furnished by A. Reeves, Cornell University, 1999, shows an x-ray computed tomography transaxial slice of the chest with a nodule outlined and 8 successive slices above and below the one pictured. The image was acquired on June 17, 1996, with X and Y resolution of 0.68 mm and a slice thickness of 1 mm.
CU0138-1 3D Views
The slide, furnished by A. Reeves, Cornell University, 1999, shows a 3-dimensional rendering of the nodule shown on the previous slide. The nodule is broader in 1 dimension than in the other 2 and seems to be bumpy in texture.
U01: Cooperative Agreement
- Support 5 academic sites with fundable scores, selected by NCI, with ongoing lung cancer screening programs, to form a Lung Image Data Base Consortium (LIDC).
- LIDC: Minimum of 3 sites and two X-ray CT systems.
- U01 "Assistance mechanism" as opposed to a "contract".
- Steering committee: PI and Co-PI's and NCI Program staff; responsible for forming consensus on research tasks.
- Concept Support: $7M for 5 years for 5 sites.
Future Plans: Technology Development
- Proposed PA: R21/R33 phased innovation for imaging technology development.
- RFP for ultrasound research interface
- RFA for spiral CT image database
- Proposed additional Centers with technology development component
NCI BIP WebPage